Friday, March 16, 2012

Cycle One Finished

Hello again! I started my MM121/Taxol treatments on Thursday, 3/1. I visited with the doctor on this day just to see how things were going. After I went and took my seat in the infusion suite which is a room of four rows of reclining chairs with iv poles next to them. This will be my Thursday home for the next twelve weeks. I chose my seat and got ready. It is now time to get blood drawn from my port. My port is not a fan of having blood taken out of it. For some reason it always gives us trouble. It takes an extra 15 minutes or so of saline drip to get it to open up.
They finally got blood out and we started the MM121. After the MM121 I was given some medicine to prevent an allergic reaction to the Taxol and then something that will prevent nausea, these are called premeds. Now it is time for the Taxol. My first reaction to the Taxol was that I could tell it was a much stronger medicine by the way it felt going in. It felt a little bit stronger, which probably doesn't make sense. It was just a little heavier on my chest when it was going through the port. It felt a little strange. This will be my regimen for the next 12 weeks.

My next treatment on Thursday, 3/8 (which is my moms birthday) was a little different the did the premeds went first, then the MM121 and then the Taxol. I had a little bit of side effects from the MM121 from the time before. I had a mild rash and my face gets red and hot. These are side effects I can live with, they aren't horrible. After treatments we went to eat dinner with my mom for her birthday!

The next week is Spring Break. The girls are off of school and I decided to take them to work with me on Monday. For some reason they love going to work to just lounge around under my desk. I guess they had fun. On Tuesday, they stayed home with my cousin Diana from Houston as she came in town to visit. We all went to Six Flags on Wednesday with another cousin Franky from California who came to hang out with us too. We had tons of fun at Six Flags and it was exhausting. Everyone came to our house afterwards to play games. It was a pretty fun day. It definitely got my mind off of things. Thursday, 3/15 it was back to treatment. This was the final treatment in cycle one. Today, 3/16 I have noticed my hair has started to fall out. I am kind of obsessed with running my fingers through my hair to see how much is going to come out. I do have a ton of hair, so it might take a while before it all falls out. If I notice a bald spot I will be shaving it off. Maybe we should take bets to see when that is going to happen...just kidding! If I don't quit with my obsession of making it fall out, it will be sooner than later.

Next week, I start cycle two of my MM121 and taxol treatments. I guess we will see how my hair holds up. I do have my wigs ready to go for when I do decide to shave it off. Other than this new hair development the Taxol hasn't been too bad. I do get nauseous and tired, but I am managing.

Thank you everyone for your prayers and for all of the help we are getting! I have gotten tons of snacks and dinners from many of you! Right now snacking and watching movies is my favorite thing to do while sitting in my chair for 3 hours every Thursday. Gold Fish snacks are my friends...this is what I eat when I am nauseous. For some reason it helps!

1 comment:

  1. Missy,

    You are in our thoughts and prayers as you and your family tackle this head on.. Your positive attitude will help you thru this journey... if you need anything know that you have another extended family in Denton also.. hope to see you soon.. take care... Hilda

    ReplyDelete