Wednesday, February 8, 2012

2012 Begins

2012 began with a big bang! It all started with a routine annual exam and it unraveled from there.

On 12/20/11 I went in for my routine annual exam and my doctor felt a lump on my breast, but didn't seem too concerned about it. She said let's get some imaging of it just in case.

We went on our Christmas Vacation to Disney World and had a blast....except for the road trip!

Upon returning I had to go have my first ever Mammogram on 1/5/12...as I am only 32 years old I was hoping to put that off another 8 years. After the Radiologist reviewed my x-ray's they decided to do a sonogram to see if they could tell more of what the lump was. After further reviewing she decided to have me schedule a biopsy...again just in case because she couldn't tell exactly what it was from the x-ray or the sonogram.

The following week on 1/12/12 I went in to have a biopsy done. This procedure was really weird as I was on the table with one person doing a sonogram as the other was putting a needle in my breast to take a piece of it to test it. The radiologist got what she needed and said that the pathologist should have the results back by Friday or Monday.

As I was driving home from picking up Amaya from school on Friday 1/13/12, my phone rang and it was the Radiologist who had just done my biopsy the day before. I immediately became nervous and anxious to hear my results. As I was pulling into my garage she gave me the news, unfortunately this was cancerous. I have Amaya pulling at me to give her the keys and I have this doctor on the phone giving me all of this information that I needed to write down. I gave Amaya the keys to go in the house and I just stayed in my car talking. She gave me the name to a surgeon, oncologist, and reconstructive surgeon. Most important she told me what this dreaded lump was called...Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. She explained that is the most common form of breast cancer and that it is very treatable. I was in complete shock, this Dr. is telling me that I have breast cancer over the phone while I am sitting in my garage. I was told my next step is to have an MRI and then call the surgeon. Our conversation lasted maybe 30 mintues and I don't think that I could even tell you all of the information she gave me in that short period of time. Now what am I supposed to do? I immediately called Ruben and blurted out the news to him while balling my eyes out...still in the garage in the care with Amaya in the house. He headed straight home. I then called my mom and had to tell her, but my dad answered and so I told him first who then put my mom on the phone. She couldn't contain herself either. We were just both blubbering messes trying to hold a conversation.

I am on my journey to fighting this horrible thing called breast cancer!
My first step was to get an MRI done. I had my MRI scheduled for 1/19/12 a whole week after finding out the news and it was killing me not knowing anything as I was not scheduled to meet the surgeon until the following Tuesday. I ended up meeting with the surgeon on 1/18/12 to get more information before doing my MRI. She gave us options on chemo and surgery. Many things to have to think about. Do I want a masectomy or a lumpectomy? Will we do chemo first to shrink the tumor or after surgery? She also said I need to have a bone scan and a CT scan before meeting the Oncologist. My bone scan was done on 1/26 and my CT scan was done on 1/27. After many prayers all of my scans came back showing no signs of the cancer spreading to other parts of my body!

I met with the Oncologist on 2/2 to find out what the next step was. The surgeon thought it would be best to meet with the Oncologist and start chemo right away rather than waiting until after surgery. The Oncologist explained that I have stage 2 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. I am in stage 2 since my tumor is more than 2mm as it is measuring 2.8mm and that my cancer is very aggressive. He wanted to get started right away. I have to have one more scan called a PET scan to check again whether or not this tumor has spread anwhere else in my body. I am doing this today 2/8. Please pray that this stays put and hasn't traveled anywhere in this month span. Next step is a port/biopsy. I will be participating in a study of a new chemo drug which requires another biopsy to get started. After that I will begin chemo....Taxol once a week for twelve weeks with a possiblity of receiving the test drug MM-121 for two of those weeks and then a mixture of two drugs they call AC once every two weeks 4 times. After adding all of that up it is 5 months of chemotherapy.

The hardest part so far has been telling my girls. Amaya really doesn't understand and hasn't asked many questions except can we get a pink wig. Karina on the other hand keeps to herself and is scared to ask me anything. My family is fighting with me and I love every one of them!

The picture in this post was taken on 2/4 as I wanted a family picture to cherish while I had hair and before this disease takes its tole on my body. I am ready to fight this disease and win! With God's help I will be this before-cancer person again and then be a Breast Cancer Survivor!

My Journey to be continued.....

18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you Missy! You are strong and we have a very strong family that pray for you. We are here for you.

      Delete
    2. Me again. My grammar is terrible and I have no idea how to use this thing. Anyways, so, yeah. Take care and I will just text you from now on. I am dumb. Jeez...

      Delete
  2. I am so proud that you were able to start this blog. I know it is hard for you to talk about things like this. I don't think you realize how many people want to travel this journey with you. So thank you for sharing your thoughts and hopeful this blog will help you let things out. We are ready for you to be cancer free. You have all of us in your corner. I am glad to have a baby sister that is a fighter. You will beat this thing, WE will help you beat this thing. I hope you feel the grace of God to calm you so all of your energy goes to recovering. I love you and am here for you always, Letty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only imagine how hard this had to be for you to begin to start and share your journey with us. I am very proud of you for deciding to share your journey with us! You see mija, It takes a very strong and determined person to fight and win..... your going to master this just like all other pursuits you have accomplished!! You're a determined person... it's in your genes, use it for strength :) Love you always!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there!! This is Cori, Letty's crazy friend. Just reading this, you have more courage and determination than I could ever have. This will be a fight, and you will win because you will be stronger than this disease!!! I am here as well. You and Lett can come here and I will pamper you. Any day, any time, regardless of anything. I have a huge comfy bed that we can crowd up with ice cream, great food and we can keep your mind off of this. Im sure that I can at least entertain you ladies!!! I will pray every single day and although Im just a friend of your sister, my door, my home, my bed (non lesbian way) is always open. I love you and your whole family and you will beat this things ass!!! at the end of this, you will have a wonderful inspiring blog to share and be able to have others look up to you and the strength you have now, will have during,and will continue to have after. THEN, we will take a road trip, find Justin Timberlake (for me) stuff him in my closet and my room along with ice cream, food, movies and the comfy bed will be that much more exciting!!! my cell is 214-284-9313 and Im here to talk, Im ALWAYS up and you know I can talk endlessly so lets put the gloves on and FIGHT this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Jessi, we do not know each other but I came across your story/blog and I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU! Good Luck, be strong!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My name is Shirley, we dont know each other but i will be praying for you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Missy, my name is Maria Guerra and I used to work with your sister Letty. I am a prayer warrior and Letty had me in prayer immediately. You are a daughter of a King and He is with you. He will not get you out and through this however He will be with you while He gets you through this. Thank Him now for His healing. Surround yourself with positive prayerful children of God, by His stripes you are healed, Amen! Your sister in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blog is very informative melissa! Thank you for sharing and please know I am praying for healing. It is so scary but I know you can beat this! Makes me wanna go get checked too. Like you I am only 32 and was putting mammogram off til I turned 40. But w will all learn that cancer has no age limit and it's best to catch it early like you did. I hope you will feel comfort and peace and never give up. You got alot of women that will be here with you and you have ruben, your kids, and so much family support! You got this melissa!!! You and your family are in my prayers. May God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Missy, this is so great, informative, & I believe will help & inspire soooo many people! You are truly making a difference by doing this! You have already inspired me to go make today a great memory with Christina, & to make it count. Thank YOU! You will always be this person....beautiful & always smiling! Cancer is your temporary illness that you will fight off, but certainly does NOT define who you are. We will continue to pray for you, & also your precious girls. Love you, Summer & Bobby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is not a problem you can't beat!!! It was caught in time, so you should have no prob. I just wish you didn't have to do five months of strange to get it gone. But we do what we have to. If you need anything or help with anything you let me or someone in the "Fam" know. God Bless You, DeJuan

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey cuz. you're going to beat this! I will pray everyday for you! You are loved so much by evreyone you know... especially your family. Thank you for sharing your journey. Thats how you'll beat this... by facing it... up front. In it's face. Making precise decisions with determination and confidence. This is the absolute time to lean on GOD. Your family, us, me, your frineds will hold your hand all the way thru this journey while GOD leads you in conquering it! I love you. Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
    Keep it gangsta,
    Frankie

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so brave, to share your experience with so many is admirable. We will all be strengthened by your conviction to get through this! We will pray that you stay strong and fight to win. Stay positive, as we will, and know that you have a big family and many friends to rely on and help you and your family through this. Please, if you need ANYTHING, let me know and I will help. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Missy
    We don't know each other but I want to let you know that you CAN and WILL kick your cancer to the curb where it belongs. I went through it in 2010. I had to have a radical mastectomy. Mine was stage 2A and extremely aggressive. I actually had 3 types of cancer in my breast. I went through chemo for 4 months and here I am - surviving without any signs of cancer!!! You are young which will help you through the chemo with regaining your strength. I'm going to be praying for you throughout your journey. It's wonderful you started this blog. It will help you to get your feelings out and help others too. It sounds like you have a great support system!
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  15. Angel, Josie, and I pray every night and every night we pray for you.... I've been going to church and I have learned alot about life and myself that I didn't know. I’ve learned to accept the things I can not change and too understand that everything that happens was already written in Gods book of life. It's the way we accept and chose to live it that makes a difference. The reason I tell you this is because you writing this takes a lot from you, knowing this is hard enough, but reliving it as you write has to be even harder!!! You are and have always been a strong woman who stands for what she believes in.... and when you have your mind set on something there is no changing that!!...... You have your mind set to win this battle and I believe you will plus you have the best support system in the world... Your family. May God Bless you and all your family…. And we will continue to have you in our prayers.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am pulling for you Melissa. Fight with everything you have and you will beat it down for sure. I can't wait to see your pink wig.

    Please let me know if I can do anything for you and your family.

    John Bernard

    ReplyDelete